How Pricing Works
DataSift allows you to create sophisticated filters that listen for social conversations and content being shared across the social-web.
We calculate the complexity of each filter in Data Processing Units (DPUs) – this is the cost to run a real-time filter for 1 hour on our cloud platform.
For example, create a simple, real-time keyword filter to find people checking into Starbucks for a coffee (costing 0.4 DPUs), or a complex one using text-pattern matching and geo-location data to look for any social mentions of presidential candidates (costing 10 DPUs).
Each price-plan comes with a monthly allowance of DPUs that you use up when you run filters on our platform. So a 10 DPU filter running for 5 hours would use up 50 DPUs from your plan. You also use up DPUs when you run a Twitter Historic filter on our platform.
We’ll also charge you for the volume of data that we deliver to you and any other processing we do on that data such as sentiment analysis. You can see the data sources we provide and costs here.
DataSift gives you a huge economy of scale; the more things you track, the more cost effective it becomes. We also offer discounts as your usage grows, taking your processing costs from $0.20 for Pay-As-You-Go usage to $0.06 when you subscribe to our Platinum edition.
- Can I try DataSift before I subscribe?
- Yes. You can sign up for a free trial which will give you access to our real-time platform so you can test-drive how to filter data from the Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, etc. But get in touch if you’re interested in DataSift Historics (which allows you to mine 2+ years of Twitter data) - it’s not included in the trial.
- How do I keep track of what processing I’m using and data that I’m paying for?
- DataSift has real-time billing functionality that will keep you informed of what you are using and the cost of the data that you are consuming. You can also receive alerts based on limits you can set (e.g. overage costs).
- What happens if I end up using more processing or data than I expected?
- If you have a Pay-As-You-Go account, just like on a Pay-As-You-Go cell phone, we’ll stop the service when you run out of credit. For contract customers, we’ll always keep you running and bill you at the end of the month for any overage. Either way, we’ll alert you via email ahead of time.
- How do you charge for the data that I receive?
- For Pay-As-You-Go accounts, you buy credits, then we’ll charge you when you receive data. For contract customers, we’ll bill you at the end of every month for the data that you’ve consumed via DataSift. Different data sources have different costs. You can see the details and list of costs here.
- What are the main benefits of a subscription vs Pay-As-You-Go?
- Pay-As-You-Go is a great way to get started with DataSift, but we’ve designed our subscriptions to help you save money, scale-up and run a production application. If you switch to a subscription you’ll get a discount on processing costs (40% for a bronze, going up to 70% for platinum) and the peace-of-mind that you won’t run out of credits. There’s also a daily 500,000 Tweet limit on Pay-As-You-Go accounts, so if you think you’ll be handling lots of Tweets, take a subscription. Finally, you’ll get premium features like DataSift Historics and support services for your business-critical application.