Terms & Conditions
Acceptable Use Policy
These terms explain the terms under which MediaSift Limited (referred to as “we”, “us” and “our”) permits you to:
- access and use datasift.com (“our site”)
- access and use our application programming interface and programming language (referred to as “our API”)
- access and use the data sifting tools available through the use of our site and/or our API (“our services”)
This acceptable use policy applies to all users of our site, our API and/or our services. Together, our site, our API and our services, are referred to in these terms as “our facilities”.
Your use of any of our facilities means that you accept and agree to abide by these terms, which supplement our terms.
1. Acceptable Use
You may only use our facilities for your own lawful internal business purposes.
You may not sell, resell, rent or lease material from our site, or obtained from use of our facilities. You may not use any of our facilities:
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect
- to damage, harm or harass us or another person (be it an organisation or a human)
- for unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotions, or solicitation (spam)
Unless you are a paying user of our facilities, you may not publish online, or distribute to other people, the data that you obtain through use of any of our facilities. In particular, you may not screen scrape our site, or by any other means attempt to gather the data from any of our facilities. Paying users of our facilities may use the data available through us but only in accordance with the terms applicable to that data - see our terms for further information on the use of data.
2. Interactive Facilities
We may provide interactive facilities on our site, such as, comment and voting facilities. We will try to manage the risks for users when they use these facilities, but we may not actively oversee, monitor or moderate them.
We rely on all users to use these facilities responsibly, and to let us know if a concern or difficulty arises. All users should comply with the letter and spirit of the following rules when using or posting content to our site:
- be accurate (where stating facts)
- be genuine (where giving opinions)
- do not post any material which is defamatory, obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory
- do not promote sexually explicit material, violence, discrimination, or illegal or unlawful activity
- do not infringe any intellectual property rights (including copyright, and trade marks)
- do not try to deceive anyone
- do not breach a legal duty owed to another person, such as confidentiality
- do not be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety
- do not impersonate anyone, or misrepresent your identity or affiliations
Please note that any material posted to our interactive facilities may be removed or blocked at any time.
When we consider that our site (including the interactive facilities) has not been used properly, we may take such action as we deem appropriate, such as:
- removing content from our site
- disabling access to content, a stream, or a part of our site
- prohibiting your use of all or part of our site if you have contributed to the misuse
If you have any concerns about the content on our site, please let us know by contacting our support team. We do not accept liability for any content posted to our site by other users or for streams setup by users.
You must not misuse our facilities by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material, which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our facilities, the servers on which our facilities operate or any server, computer or database connected to our facilities. You must not attack us via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack.
By breaching this section, you could commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our facilities will cease immediately.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage, or service interruption, caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our facilities or to your downloading of any material posted on our site, or on any website linked to our site.
5. Suspension and Interruption
We may suspend access or use to any portion or all of our facilities at any time if we decide that:
- your or another user’s use of our facilities:
- poses a security risk to us, you, or another person
- may adversely impact our facilities, the data available through our facilities (“the Data”, as further described in the website terms), the Data providers, you, or any other person
- may cause us, you, or any other person to incur a liability
- you are in breach of these terms, the website terms or API terms, or the Data license terms, including if you haven’t paid us any amount you owe us when it is due (such as if a card payment is refused)
- it is required by law
Suspension will be carried out in accordance with the website terms and/or API terms (as applicable).
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of these terms. The actions we may take in the event of a breach, as described in these terms, are not limited and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
We may change, discontinue, or add to, these terms at any time. Registered users of our services will be informed of this at least 30 days in advance – you are able to close your account before the change comes into effect if you don’t agree with it.